Thursday, May 30, 2013

THE CALL

July 2nd 2012

Well July sure started out with a bang, but not in a good way!  I was down in the basement working on a project and luckily, VERY luckily I had just gone upstairs to bring my phone down with me when I received THE CALL.
THE CALL.  
The one you never want to get.  The one you never expect to get.  The one that made my heart sink and my mind and body go into a panic-survival-rush mode.  It was Aaron's number that showed on the caller id, but a womans voice was on the other end, "Hi is this Bre?....Um Aaron is here, but we called an ambulance to come and get him."  Ok, um WHAT?!!  I thought the phone call was extremely odd to get, but not once did I believe it was some sort of prank, he would never joke about something as serious as this!  As I said above, my mind immediately went in to this sort of panic-survival-rush mode.  Of course my heart sank and I was afraid of what was happening, especially not knowing all the details, but I started asking her questions, like "is he ok?", "where are they taking him?", "what's going on?" ....and told her to call me again to inform me of where they were taking him once she knew.  
He was all the way downtown, well downtown-ish, first to pick up a prize we won from a radio station and his second stop, where he was at, was to cash in his gift card he had received to Wasatch Brewery on about 17th south.  
So many things were going through my mind.  First was how I was going to get there, second was what I would do with Aaubre.  I knew my mom was at work, close to Aaron, I considered for a second to call her, but decided against it.  She works at Costco and there is no way I was going to wait for them to direct me to the right department, then page her, etc, etc, etc..  My dad was out of town so calling him was out of the question as well.  I considered some close friends who lived nearby but I had to act fast an wasn't sure how long it would take me to actually get in touch with them.  So I decided to call my sister.  Her house was the way so I could easily drop her off on my way to Aaron, and if by chance she wasn't home, my next option would be to just take her with me or I had another option of calling Costco on the way and seeing if my mom could assist me in this emergency.  This way I didn't waste any time.  Everything could be decided as I was making my way closer to Aaron. 
Luckily my sister was home and could take her.  Sadly an extremely unfortunately, my phone had just ran out of minutes!! AHH!  Good thing I had the app for HeyTell on my phone, that is what saved me!  I was able to communicate with my sister through that and as I was nearing her house, I received a HeyTell from Aaron.  He was feeling well enough he had decided not to take the ambulance to the hospital, but still needed me to pick him up so we could go to an emergency room.  We also decided to take Aaubre with us, that way I could get there sooner than later.
Aaron was sitting calmly in the car waiting my arrival.  He was slow moving and was concentrating on controlling his breathing, keeping it calm and steady.  He couldn't really tell me what had and was happening to him because every time he began to think about it his breathing would speed up and he would get anxious, so my focus was purely on getting him to an ER.  Another string of bad luck we I had was.... I needed to get some gas. DUH, of course it would be this one time that I really didn't want to stop that I really needed it.  So we made the stop on 5400s just west of the freeway, then decided to go to the Murray IHC.  Bad idea.  Their ER was jam packed full and they had no idea how long we would have to wait, which made Aaron that much more anxious.  He wasn't sure when he would have another "attack" and waiting there, unknowing of that and not knowing when we would be getting in, was making it worse.  We decided to go to an Insta Care instead.  Another bad idea.  They told us we should go to an ER because they could better treat us.  Wow.  Can you believe it has taken us all evening to get him into somewhere?! By this time we were so hungry we had picked up some grub on our way to the Insta Care too.  Our next stop was the Riverton ER, which was awesome! We got right in!! Woohoo finally! We got into the room and after he was all hooked up to everything, we thought we might as well get a picture to remember this crazy, super scary, hectic, bizarre day.
After a few test and some observation, we were able to leave an go home with nothing serious to worry about.  They said he must have had an extremely intense anxiety attack.  Aaron had never in his life, experienced anything like that before, and to make it even stranger, it was completely random an in a situation that was normal and low stress so we have no idea what triggered it.  Whatever it was, it scared the hell out of him, enough to have the store employees call 911 an to call me too.... he thought it could be the end.... we are all VERY glad it turned out to just being "THE CALL" and nothing more.  
We love you babe! and we are OH sooo happy to have you in our lives for a VERY long time!! ;)

No comments: