Saturday, October 25, 2014

EYE'm on the mend!

It's been 3 weeks since I went in for my initial surgery, and to be completely honest, it really wasn't all that bad! Thank goodness! :)

OCT 2: Radiation Plaque Surgery Day

Surgery was scheduled for 10:30am.  No food or drink starting at 12am the morning of.  This included water, gum, a mint.... everything was off limits.  We checked in and shortly after were taken back to a small room to get all "settled in" for surgery.  The NP's were sweet.  They did everything they could to help me feel comfortable and take my mind off things.  They had me scheduled on the board to go back for surgery at 11:45am, but they were running behind a little so we had some time to kill.  My mom joined us and we watched a little bit of TV before they said their "goodbye's" and "good lucks" as the nurse rolled me out.
 
 {LEFT:before surgery, eye was dilated - - RIGHT:before / after surgery}

K.  Hospitals are creepy right?  I never really thought about it until today.  Maybe it's because I'm just used to seeing people everywhere lol, but as we rolled down the hallway and through the double doors, it was like we were in an entirely new building where absolutely no one ventured.  {Keep in mind, I have never been in surgery before so this was all very new to me}  To make even more odd, they pushed me into a little "nook" in the wall were the bed fit perfectly as to not "clutter" the hall.  And this is where I laid alone for the next, what seemed like forever, but most likely 15 minutes, or so.  I was greeted every so often by a passer by-er dressed head to toe in scrubs.  Eventually one of them stopped to make sure I was comfortable and warm enough.  I was SO close to asking for a third "heated" blanket {it was like ice in those hallways!} but decided against it knowing that I wouldn't be able to feel a thing in just a little bit.  The anesthesiologist introduced himself to me and explained what our next steps where and how everything was to play out.  A few of the assisting nurses greeted me as well.  Once in the room they placed a rubber mask over my face and I was told to breath......
I woke up about an hour to an hour and a half later in recovery.  The first thing I noticed was how horribly my throat ached.  The nurse noted it was probably from the breathing tube and offered me some water and ibuprofen.  Gradually I realized that they they must have also "forgotten" I have lips {yes although they are small lips, they are still there ;) lol } .....I could feel a swollen lump and sore mark on my lower lip, they must have pinched it between the tube and my tooth.
 
{PICS:in recovery, making the best of it}

I saw my husband and my mom about about 2:30 pm. We hung out in the recovery room until I felt good enough to get up to get ready to go.  I was wheeled out of there about 3pm.
By this time you'd think I would be starving but all I wanted was water, couldn't get enough of it! It helped my dry mouth and soothed my aching throat.  
After resting a bit at home I decided I could use some substance in my stomach.  Everything I tried hurt my throat :(  Eventually our sweet neighbor brought over dinner and it was PERFECT!  Pulled pork sandwiches - the perfect softness mixed with absolute deliciousness! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

OCT 3 . 4 . 5 - You're telling me that's on my eye?! Crazy.

So this is what they put in / on my eye....
A) Gold plaque that acts as a "sheild"  B) Silicone "shell" that holds the radiation "seeds" C) Radiation Plaque

I will forever be in "awe" each time I crack open a bottled beer or soda.  It simply amazes me what they can do these days.  I look down at a bottle cap and am blown away knowing that I had something so similar in size and shape attached / sewn onto the back of my eyeball.  And it was for real.  For real, for real!  Wow.
I only experienced one "bad" day while being at home with the plaque inside my eye, and strangely it hadn't a thing to do with it.   The medication had made me extremely nauseous.... so I quite taking it.  I had some ibuprofen to help with the swelling but other than that I was ok.  The stitches were bothersome, somewhat scratchy against my eyelid, but not painful.  Felt as though I had an annoying eyelash(es) in my eye.  I could feel pressure, but it didn't feel extreme until I started moving my eyeball around too much, back and forth.  So if I looked at you, it was better I turn my body / head rather than stretching my eyeball so far to the right or left.  When I did,  however, it's kind of hard to explain how it felt.  Pressure.  There was always pressure.  Kind of like a sinus infection right behind your eyes and eyebrows.  And when I looked too far right or left it was like going from a pitch black room to the bright outdoors - super straining on your eyes, they just want to close.  And then I would get a mild sensation of vertigo and need to lay down.
Thankfully my kids where happily living life at their Grandpa & Grandma Bobo's house {and a couple days at our / their friends house}, so they were not exposed to any radiation and things were calm for me at home so I could rest.  I did have a lead patch that I would need to wear when I went out in public, but could take off while at home.  The radiation was virtually harmless to those around me, but it was best I stay away from children and about 3 feet away from those around me.

OCT 6 - Radiation Plaque Removal Surgery

Rules again.  No eating / drinking past midnight.... oh and don't bother coming in until 1:30 pm!  Luckily I'm ok with that.  I can handle it.
This time they where "ahead" of schedule, but for the most part, I got in right on time. I was able to get checked in, "settled in", briefed and rolled into the surgery room by 2:30 pm.  And surgery was quick.  Before I knew it I was in recovery and greeted by these two lovely ladies {my mom and grandma} and my husband {funny guy <3 p=""> 
Unlike last time, by the time I left the hospital I was ready to scarf down some fooooooood!  My mom treated to us Astro burger.  OMG it was sooooo delicious!  You can never go wrong with a charbroiled bacon cheeseburger!  Thanks mom!

OCTOBER - Post Surgeries

The days since this crazy adventure have been shockingly ok!  I had only one really bad day {the day after surgery}.  The stitches really got to me and were scratching and poking me like crazy!  I have them on either side of the iris.  I would describe the "poking" pain similar to fishing line - - mostly its harmless, but when it hits at just the right angle it's "poke" can feel needle-like.  Or kind of like a sticker in your shoe - - you don't notice its there and then WHAM, uh, that hurts!  This day was especially painful.  I use eye drops and "goop" that is similar in consistency of vaseline that helped some, however, that day it felt like I had open wounds and would sting like crazy! Like razor blades in my eye, or paper cuts!  To top it off, my eye felt as thought it had been soaked in chlorine for a day and had a dry-burning feeling.  Thankfully, everyday since has been a walk in the park!  Sure I still have some irritation and occasionally / lately the stitches have started to bug me more, but it's definitely not extreme enough for medication.  I'm doing well with out.  Even the headaches are mild, or most days, none existent.  I can't complain {though I do}.  I've basically learned to live with it.  It still feels like something is in my eye and there's definitely irritation, but with each day it gets a little better.  Once these stitches dissolve all the way {and if they don't by my next appointment on Nov 6th, I'll have them take the out} I believe the swelling will go down and I my eye will start to look normal again.  Oh! And vision! ....I was actually taken by surprise but I see just the same as I did before - - no central vision, but the peripheral is still intact.  This could change, overtime, but as of now, its great!  I'll take it!  I have an ultrasound scheduled for the end of December and we will be able to get a better idea of how well the radiation worked.  For the time being, it's kind of a waiting game.  We watch and wait.  Doctor is confident it won't become an issue later on, but we can never be 100% sure what the future holds.

As for now, I choose to be thankful!
And grateful!  And happy!
God is good and life is great!

I have sooooooo much to be thankful for.  I am blessed to have so many people who care about us.  During this whole crazy experience I was overwhelmed by how many people reached out to help in one way or another {sending thoughts and prayers our way, stopping by to say hi, sending a thoughtful gift or card showing that they care, comforting comments on facebook, all of it!} even from people that don't really know me.
THANK YOU!!
   

I'd like to give a little shout out to those of you who brought us dinner - it helped out A TON and I really, truly appreciate it! Thank you!
Thank you to the Bobo Grandparents AND the Craig's for taking our two little munchkins in while the radiation was in my eye.  They had so much fun, so much that they weren't exactly thrilled to be home - happy but not thrilled *wink*.  We really appreciate you guys, more than know. XOXO
A special thanks to my mom and sweet Grandma Pat! She made the trip up here, just to be with us and help out anyway she could!  The kids loved having her here with us and so did I.  They learned that cleaning is fun, no kiddin'!  They would see her cleaning and they jumped right in to help - - they are awesome :)  She entertained them to a "T".  Even brought some wrapped gifts with her and sent them on a treasure hunt each day - the highlight of their day!
   

Seriously though, I can't thank ALL of you enough!  Your support means so much to us....
Thank  you, Thank you, Thank YOU!



For those who would like to view the side effects it had on my eye, see video below

*** Caution: Viewer Discretion Is Advised ***

I find it super interesting and am not, in the slightest, grossed out by it, so for those of you who are, I recommend you do not watch it.




No comments: